Enjoy this hearty and delicious vegan lasagna any day of the week
Lasagna is such a comforting food for me. It’s hearty, filling, and the perfect dinner entrée for any day of the week or perfect dish to have leftovers for lunch the following day.
Whenever I ask my husband what he would like for dinner one of his answers is ALWAYS lasagna. I suppose he married the right gal, the one who loves pasta! I try to vary my ingredients in the lasagna with different herbs and vegetables but this combination in particular is my ultimate favorite.
What I love about this recipe is that the oven does most of the work for me. I simply prep the veggies and tofu ricotta, assemble the lasagna, and allow to bake until ready. It’s that easy! If you haven’t tried making a tofu ricotta before, it’s a great plant-based substitute for pasta dishes like lasagna. You can add so many herbs and flavors that no one will even notice it’s made with tofu. Nutritional Yeast is actually the magical ingredient here for making it taste cheesy. You can blend the tofu mixture in a food processor to make it creamy or you can crumble it with your hands as I did in this recipe.
This dish also pairs well with your favorite salad or assortment of roasted vegetables. And if you’re like me who loves to add parmesan cheese to just about anything, check out this Vegan Parmesan Cheese that I use to sprinkle some on top. It takes just 5 minutes to make!
Vegan Lasagna with Herbed Tofu Ricotta
Serves: Makes 6 - 8 servings
Total Time: 15 - 20 minutes (prep); 50 - 60 minutes (bake)
Herbed Tofu Ricotta
- 21 oz of firm tofu (or 1 – 14oz package + another ½ package)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dry basil
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, in slices
- 1 – 8oz baby bella mushrooms, in slices
- 1 ½ cups fresh baby spinach
- ¾ cup vegan shredded cheese (optional)
- 1 – 25oz container + 1 cup favorite tomato pasta sauce
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
Herbed Tofu Ricotta
- Press the tofu between two paper towels to release liquid. In a large bowl, crumble the tofu with hands or with a fork.
- Add all the ingredients and mix well. Then set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare all your vegetables by slicing them and setting them aside on a large plate.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large baking dish, assemble your lasagna by adding a couple of tablespoons of pasta sauce on the bottom to prevent noodles from sticking.
- Then assemble by placing lasagna noodles, layer with tofu ricotta, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach and spread tomato sauce (If you’d like you can sprinkle some vegan shredded cheese).
- Repeat step 4 two more times.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 50 – 60 minutes or until lasagna noodles are fully cooked.
- Remove foil when taken out of oven and allow to cool for about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
- (Optional) Sprinkle basil and a homeade Vegan Parmesan Cheese on top and enjoy!