The perfect summer pasta dish to enjoy out on a picnic with family and friends
Picnics are one of my favorite events during the summer! I really enjoy picnics because it gives me the opportunity to eat something fun and delicious while enjoying it at my favorite park. The best part about packing a yummy dish to a picnic is that I get to enjoy the outdoors under the warm sun with friends and family. It’s important to help keep food safe and prevent bacterial growth in the warm weather, so I pack a well-insulated cooler with enough ice packs to keep my food and snacks stay cool.
This creamy and delicious macaroni salad is the perfect summer dish the whole family will enjoy eating. My favorite ingredient in here is the sweet corn which adds some sweetness to the dish. Corn has many nutritional components. It provides fiber, magnesium, iron, Vitamin B-6, and protein. About 1 cup of this amazing grain provides 12 grams of fiber and almost 50% of your daily value of Vitamin B-6. Vitamin B-6 participates in brain development by making neurotransmitters (chemicals that carry signals between cells) and in making the hormone serotonin (a chemical that balances our mood).
Serves: 6 - 7 servings
Total Time: 25 - 30 minutes
- 16oz package of salad macaroni pasta
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- ½ cup of red onion, finely chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped (remove inner flesh)
- 1 - 15oz can of great northern beans
- 1 - 15.25oz can of sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons of Vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon white sugar or agave (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring 4 quarts of water to boil and cook macaroni pasta for about 8-10 minutes or according to package directions.
In the meantime, chopped all the veggies. Place in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the dressing and wisk together.
Add cooked macaroni pasta to the large bowl with the veggies and pour the dressing. Mix together and adjust taste with salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate for about one hour to chill*
This can be kept in the fridge for later use. Best use within 3 days.
* You can prepare the macaroni salad ahead of time for an event by chilling the pasta overnight.
Reference: Vitamin B 6: Fact Sheet for Consumers