These vegan, protein-packed granola bars are great for snacking and lunch boxing!
I love snacks! Typically I'll have some baby carrots with hummus but when I'm out and about I like to carry some trail mix or a granola bar for easy eating. Trail mix and granola bars make a great snack because they're perfectly balanced with protein, carbs, and "good" fats. When it comes to having a yummy granola bar, I'm not worried about making sure it has the perfect ratio of protein, carbs and fat; rather, I care that it tastes good and that every bite satisfy me.
I haven’t quite found a vegan-friendly granola bar that is flavorful, has a fair amount of protein, uses wholesome ingredients, is healthy and not too sweet. If you have, please send a recommendation my way!
With that in mind, I’ve been playing around with ingredients I could find in my pantry to create a granola bar that fit all those desires of mine and included one of my favorite indulgence: peanut butter. And….I finally found one!
These flavorful munchies not only provide a fair amount of plant protein but also “good” fats. Between the peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds these granola bars are a nutritional powerhouse. And best of all, they don’t require an oven! Making these vegan bars a perfect recipe all year round.
They also have just the right hint of sweetness. With just 2 tablespoons of agave and some dried cranberries, these snack bars don't need any other sweeteners. I added a dash of cinnamon to mine because I've noticed in other foods I make at home that cinnamon really highlights those sweet notes.
I’ve really enjoyed making delicious treats. They’re super easy to make and the perfect item to grab for a snack while I'm out and about or simply working from home. The recipe makes about 7 bars – one for each day of the week – or 14 squares if bars cut in half.
No Bake Nut & Seed Granola Bars (Vegan)
Serves: 7 bars or 14 square bites
Total Time: 10 - 15 min (prep); 45 min - 4 hours (to set)
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup chopped almonds or pecans (or combination)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together agave, coconut oil, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Then add the remaining ingredients: chopped nuts (I used ¼ cup of pecans and ¼ cup of almonds), pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, oats, and cinnamon (optional). Mix well until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a lined baking dish with parchment paper and press down firmly to pack in mixture.
- Place uncovered in freezer for about 45 minutes (or in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 hours) to set. Then cut into bars or square bites. The longer they are allowed to set, the easier they will be to cut and be more intact.
- Bars last about one week in the refrigerator in a sealed container.