Spice up your taco game with these simple and tasty vegan jackfruit tacos
Our love for tacos is endless! They aren’t just for #TacoTuesday - they’re appropriate for any day of the week. Possibly the greatest thing about tacos is that there are SO many ways to enjoy them - different filling, flavors, and toppings. Really, there is no wrong way for having a delicious taco.
Have you ever had jackfruit? When I first tried jackfruit, I wasn’t sure what to pair it with or season with it. I felt a bit intimidated by it simply because I was so unfamiliar with it.
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit native to Southeast Asia and has been a new favorite item in the vegan cuisine. This is partly because its texture is very unique from all other fruits in the sense that it can be shredded to look like a meat substance - or pulled pork as many state. The flavor of jackfruit is very subtle allowing you to pair it perfectly with any seasoning.
Many believe that jackfruit has plentiful of nutritional benefits. It does offer some nutrition but it doesn’t really live up to the hype that it’s been attracting for its nutritional profile. Jackfruit is low in calories, about ¼ cup provides 40 calories. Per one cup of serving, it’s an excellent source for potassium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B6. However, unlike most other plant-based meat substitutes, jackfruit provides very little protein. About one cup of serving provides just 3 grams of protein. That’s quite low if jackfruit is the only thing being consumed in the meal. It’s best to pair jackfruit with other item(s) that do provide more protein, such as legumes.
I love pairing jackfruit with pinto beans. They are my favorite way to eat both! Including pinto beans in these tacos boosts protein, iron, and fiber - giving you additional nutritional benefits. If you don’t have pinto beans, black beans work just as well in this recipe.
This Salsa Verde recipe also pairs well with these tacos. For an extra kick of spiciness, be sure to leave the seeds in the serrano chili when adding it to the mixture!
Jackfruit and Pinto Bean Tacos
Serves: 11 - 13 tacos
Total Time: 35 - 45 minutes
- ½ - 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1-20z can green jackfruit in brine, drained and shredded*
- 1-14oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 large tomato, finely diced (de-seeded)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, packed
- Juice of one lime or lemon
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil in medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit and heat for about 3 minutes. Then add the pinto beans (or black beans), chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper and heat for about 10 minutes or until its reached a desired warmth for you. Adjust taste by adding more seasoning of your choice (I added a tiny bit more cumin)
- While jackfruit filling continues to heat, combine all ingredients for the cabbage slaw in a medium bowl and toss together. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a non-stick griddle, heat tortillas to a desired crispiness and serve jackfruit filling, then top with cabbage slaw and any other toppings you'd like.
* You can purchase canned jackfruit from Trader Joe's. Shred with a fork or for a finer texture use two forks to shred.